Friday, December 27, 2013

End of the Year Closet Organizing


Clutter – that’s what I have more of as the year draws to a close. I realize I have collected more stuff this year, and it looks like our house is busting at the seams with it. With a few days off during the holidays it’s time to once again organize. In case any of you out there are in the same boat I am going to share some of my tips, and organizational tools.

The best, and often the hardest tip in getting organized is that a purge is required. No matter how many shelves, boxes and clever little nooks I create, the best technique is to simply get rid of some things!  If I have received some great new sweaters for Christmas then I take out the ones at the bottom of the shelf that I haven’t worn in a long while, and donate tehm to my favorite charity. Some people have hard and fast rules for this – not worn in a year? Out it goes. For me, I know what I am really not going to wear again and what I probably will, even if I didn’t this past year.

Ok so once I have purged I organize. I think about what organizational techniques I incorporated last year that worked, and what hasn’t. Some people like to put their belts on a hanger, I prefer a few hooks inside the closet wall. Different things work for different people, incorporate what is easiest for you. Here are a few ideas:
  • Use shelf dividers to maximize the space and keep sweaters neat.
  • Shoes belong on a shoe rack.
  • Hang belts, umbrellas and purses on attractive belt racks and stagger them on the wall.
  •  Move off season items to under-the-bed storage boxes or the highest closet shelves.
  •  Keep infrequently worn items towards the back of your closet, with frequently worn items near the front.
  •  Place smaller items that float around on your dresser in a decorative box.
  •  Create storage space under the bed.
  •   An ottoman with storage is a great place for seasonal blankets.
  •   Use boxes with labels or baskets to store similar items.
Best tip of all: tackle only one closet at a time! 

No comments: