Monday, December 30, 2013

A Real Christmas Story!

A young man in Vancouver got a big surprise when he offered to help a homless man with the offer of a meal. The homelss man turned out to be a wealthy man posing as a homless person rewarding charitable strangers. Yogi Omar recieved rent money from the man who wished to stay anonymous, saying only that  it was his family tradition to gift chariable strangers during the Chtistmas season.

That night after Yogi recieved a gift from this person he went home and posted on his Facebook page. From there the story went viral. Suddenly newspapers were calling him for interviews.
Here's Yogi's orginal Facebook Post: 
"I can't believe this... so, tonight I was downtown and I was approached by a homeless man and as per usual, he said "Spare some change?" and as per usual I said, "Sorry, no." but then for some reason I was compelled to follow up that sentence with, "I don't have any change, but have you eaten? I can buy you food. Or I can get you a coat or socks. What do you need?" 
Well well well, lo and behold, he revealed that he's not actually a homeless man. He's apparently some rich guy who is on a Random Act of Kindness project and he just wanted to see who actually talk to homeless people. We started talking and I shared my story about my dad suffering from cancer and that I'm spending a lot of my savings to buy last minute plane tickets to see him in China and that I'm on a bit of a pinch financially. Guess what... he decided to pay for my January rent. SERIOUSLY! He just gave me cash! Like... WHAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?
I asked for his name but he wanted to remain anonymous. He's a White guy, probably in his early 50s, just some regular looking guy. Could be anybody. Could be Santa! This is TOO unbelievable. Well, if you don't believe in Karma, you should now. You NEVER know what's going to happen in this life. Be kind to one another. Good night." 
Here are several links from different news organizations to either watch a video interview or read about this Christmas tale.

Global News: video
http://globalnews.ca/news/1044621/vancouver-man-receives-random-act-of-kindness-after-encounter-with-homeless-man/
CBC News British Columbia: video
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/homeless-man-pays-next-months-rent-for-strangers-1.2471275
The Vancouver Sun:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Scruffy+Vancouver+panhandler+random+acts+kindness/9311275/story.html
Metro News - Vancouver:
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/890141/vancouver-panhandler-pays-do-gooders-rent/#
Dashburst:
http://dashburst.com/wealthy-man-poses-homeless-rewards-charitable-strangers/

No comments: